The act of increasing the exposure of your mobile app in app store is known as app store optimization, or ASO. To do this, ASO marketers usually employ a range of strategies to raise their ranking in the store and increase download volume.
Conducting a competitor analysis of your app is the first step in enhancing your ASO approach. You will gain a better understanding of what your rivals are doing and what they are not doing, which you may use to your advantage. Learn more about the enormous advantages of performing an ASO analysis.
Why should you keep an eye on your competitors?
It can be difficult to distinguish in the crowded app stores. Conducting an ASO competitor analysis has a lot of benefits.
Here are justifications for why you ought to analyze your app's competitors.
- To begin with, it is an excellent approach to learn what your rivals are doing and how they are succeeding.
- Additionally, it clarifies how the app store algorithm operates and what elements affect your app's rating.
- Thirdly, by examining what your competitors aren't doing, it helps you find new growth chances.
- Fourthly, it will assist you in making knowledgeable choices regarding marketing plans and techniques that can be applied to raise the exposure of your program in the App Store.
- Lastly, an ASO study will give you a better understanding of the level of competition from other apps in your market or specialty. You can then take the necessary steps to improve your chances of success.
- Understanding your competitors will also help you to:
- Recognize their marketing strategies and see how they advertise their apps in the app store.
- Find out how your rivals do in various app stores so you may adopt their ranking technique for your own app's ASO.
- Find out the keywords they use in their descriptions so you can determine whether you can use those same keywords to optimize the description of your own app.
How to do a competitor analysis for ASO?
We've looked at what ASO is so far and why it's important for your company to assess its competitors' ASO. Let's get deeper into specific suggestions for doing it.
Look for the keywords based on your position.
Your app must have been active for a while in order for the algorithms to rank it for a few keywords in this step. It is not necessary for the period of time to be very long. You can begin with this stage even though it has been active for the last three days. If your program is a newcomer to the app store, however, you can omit this section.
Find the app store keywords that your app was recently rated for using a tool. With the aid of filters, the software will enable you to properly explore the list of important terms and find prospects for your app. The keywords might also be arranged according to the level of competition. You can directly get Keywords Tracking and other keywords research services in Appranking.
Find out who your rivals are in the iOS app store or Google Play.
You now understand how successfully you contend for the key words. Next, list your main rivals in your niche under the following categories.
Direct rival apps: These rival apps that fulfill the same demand as yours in your industry are available on the Google Play and Apple stores. Think of the music-lovers' services offered by the apps Spotify, Shazam, YouTube Music, and Deezer Music.
Indirect competitors: An app that shares your target market but has a different focus is an indirect competition. It might also have functionality that your app does. Examples of platforms that allow users to interact in many ways are WhatsApp and Telegram.
Keyword competitors: An app that is vying to rank higher than your app in the app store's search results is referred to be a "keyword competitor" in the context of app store optimization. It might be any other app on the app store, but it's usually one that's well-liked or advertised. You'll need a superior product or marketing strategy to rank above this competitor. Good examples include Doordash and Uber, which compete for the title of "driver."
Follow the creative assets of the opposition.
You currently have a thorough list of your app's rivals. Keep an eye on the resources of your competitors to improve your ASO analysis. They consist of titles, descriptions, symbols, videos, and images for the apps. For instance, a rival fitness software might incorporate images of muscles and body components in its icons to show how the user will appear after completing the workouts.
The same icons can be tested to see if they align with your app's objectives. Additionally, it's a good idea to use screenshots to highlight the application's advantages and features. Take note of any deficiencies of your competitor when you evaluate these assets, such as font size, graphics, etc.
Finally, take into account the information, which includes the titles, subtitles, and descriptions. Increasing app installations and conversions is your aim. To increase your app installs by double, for instance, you might stuff your descriptions and titles with numerous keywords. On the other hand, increase app conversions by making sure that the page for the app has titles or descriptions that correspond to the user's search terms.
However, keep in mind that screenshots and symbols that function flawlessly in one nation might not be appropriate in another. Software can help you find out how your rivals market their brands in various countries and different tongues. It can show what kinds of creative resources they use in certain fields.
Get intimate information about messaging.
In order to create the ideal content for your app that connects with your audience, you should also pay attention to the advertisements and messaging of your competitors. This advertising study can demonstrate the following important facts:
- How to write alluring copy for your advertising.
- Optimal movies and images that convert well.
- Advertisements and marketing channels used by the competition.
And we can assist you with this because we are experts in services like ASO, Apple Search Ads, and other relevant services.
What to do with your competitors analysis?
You now have a huge bank of handy information regarding your app rivals. What do you do with it? Let’s dive into some essential things you can do after your ASO analysis.
- Analyzing your competitor’s resources. To assess how well you compete, look at your competitor's creative resources. What drives you to be competitive? By changing your images, descriptions, videos, and other content, how can you best sell the useful features and advantages of your app?
- Researching extensively on keywords. Do thorough research to find the terms that your rival is utilizing. Test the influence of the major words in your descriptions, titles, and other content to see how they affect installations and conversions.
- Evaluating ad copy. Examine the messaging of the competition to obtain intimate knowledge of the effective words, phrases, etc. to entice customers. Concentrate on the benefits and special features of your application.
An examination of your app's competitors is a great method to learn what your competitors are doing—or not doing—to stand out from the crowd. You may glean a lot of suggestions for improving your app's visibility in the app store, finding new markets, and dominating your rivals.
Focus on apps whose store optimization is a key component of their marketing plan to get the most out of your ASO analysis. Selecting active, unbranded apps is excellent.
Instead of using charts, find your rivals by employing search queries. The latter group consists of the top-performing apps that have remained in the Apple and Google Play stores for a longer period of time.
Consider the keywords as your first step when assessing your competitors in the app stores. You must understand how your software has been ranked for this reason. Next, decide who your direct rivals are. Additionally, learn about their creative assets, including screenshots, titles, descriptions, etc. Examine the ad copy to understand how other market participants in your niche describe the capabilities, features, and advantages of their app.
Choose Appranking and we will provide you with a one-stop service to babysit the growth of your app.
Empower your team with our App Marketing Intelligence
Free forever. Cancel anytime.